|MECA & the Afaq Jadeeda Association start Let the Children Play & Heal to help tens of thousands of children and families cope with the psychological aftermath of Israel’s war on Gaza.
Dr. Mona El-Farra, MECA’s Director of Gaza Projects visits one of our water purification and desalination units
- Four-ton shipment of medicine and medical supplies, valued at $1.6 million, to Gaza, along with several tons of powdered milk, fortified children’s cereal, an ambulance, wheelchairs, surgical blades, and a full truckload of art and school supplies.
- Medical shipment valued at $1.3million for Palestinian and Iraqi refugees in Lebanon
- Speaking tours for Director Barbara Lubin and Associate Director Ziad Abbas, with engagements at schools, universities, community organizations, and conferences in dozens of US cities
- Scholarships provided to 97 Palestinian students studying at universities in the West Bank and Gaza in 2010.
- Let the Children Play and Heal gave 110,000 children in Gaza opportunities to express themselves though art to get support from the larger community; and to have fun and just be children and trained 480 women on how to support their children and children in their communities during this difficult time
- Funds provided to Playgrounds for Palestine to build playgrounds in two Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon
- MECA launched the Maia Project (Arabic for “water”) to provide clean drinking water to children in Palestine. Water purification and desalination units are installed in eleven schools and kindergartens in Gaza provide safe, clean water to nearly 17,000 children.
- Events with Ali Abunimah, Nadje Al-Ali, Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, Chris Hedges and Laila Al-Arian, Noam Chomsky, book release party for MECA Board Member Osha Neumann